Saturday, September 17, 2005

Celebrity chefs

Having fallen in love with the New Idea Saturday Kitchen show on Channel 7 and being crushed at the thought that it'll be finishing in a couple of weeks time *insert appropriate crying sounds*, I got thinking about celebrity chefs and was kind of surprised by how many of them I actually like *lol*

Nigella Lawson - she's just lovely. And her recipes are delightfully simple.

Jamie Oliver - I didn't actually like him until the school lunches series was on and it impressed me with the effort he was making to ensure that the lives of young kids will actually be of a good quality in terms of food.

Rick Stein - he's my cooking hero. He's so passionate about everything, focuses on old style things, doesn't disregard things, expounds fresh ingredients and local produce and all of that. Very pleasant. And Chalky is cute!

Ian Parmenter - he used to be on ABC's Consuming Passions. Very, very funny. Entertaining to watch.

Ainsley Harriott - if he wasn't already married, I'd want to marry him *lol* The joy about the food is infectious and his styles are fascinating. Always new perspectives on old ingredients.

Gordon Ramsey - he's the Simon Cowell of the cooking world, which can be amusing sometimes.

Hewie - plump and cheerful and a good practical food cook.

Celebrity chefs I don't really like...

Delia Smith - she's okay, but just far too clinical.

Madhur Jaffery - not sure if that's how her name is spelled, but everything she makes seems to turn out some variety of brown or orange. But then I don't really like Indian food, so ah well.

Jeff Janz - annoying.

Georgio something-or-other, who is occasionally on the New Idea show. He's okay, but just doesn't work for me. And I wouldn't use his recipes.

5 Comments:

At 10/01/2005 11:43 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Dear Dear Dear Delia..... I am very sorry to say that your listing of chefs... well.. to put it mildly... is lacking... and found wanting..... however, be that as it may..... i feel its my duty as a fellow foodie.. to enlighten you...

I will agree with you... that I do like Gordan Ramsey..... espcially when Hells' kitchen came out... (i hope they make a second one)....I Too also like Jamie Oliver.... (he reminds me of my buddy Don in Ottawa.... )

Now.... on to some missing names...

First and foremost... no list of mine is complete with out mentioning my Mom and my Dad.... who are the absolute best cooks in this world BAR NONE.... they were tought by the best... (my grandparrents).. who were tought by their parents and so on and so forth... And they tought me how to cook....

With that being said... on to our regulary scheduled chefs....

Emeril Lagasse..... Say what you will about the fact that he is a big tv star.. but the man can cook...... his personality is "in your face" (BRING ON THE GARLIC).... he is just as much a cook as he is an entertainer... and he does both very well...

Anthony Bourdain.... this man is a rebel.. so much so that he went around the world to find "the ultimate meal"....He is an author.. You have to read "Kitchen Confidential" and "A Cooks Tour"... its a very very good read.... one day.. i plan to go to new york... and go to his resturant... (damn the cost) and shake the mans hand....

Mario Batali...Top notch italian-americian chef.... (wicked cloggs too)..... very rustic dishes enspired by the italian motherland and the american melting pot... and he has a sence of humor....

Chef Chen Kenichi... Master of all the Iron Chefs... never to me messed or trifeled with.....

Bobby Flay..... BBQ mastery..... the man has a grill and knows how to use it.... great attitude too....

Chef Pasquale.... One of the first cooking show i actually enjoyed watching.....The man can sing or what...... and what wonderful food....(i actually saw him once... he was doing a demo at a shopping mall in Scarborough)

And as i sit here at work.... recovering from my three scoop helping of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice cream (with matching waffle cone) I wonder if i had missed anyone else...

Oh.. but of course....

Chef Micheal Smith.... very rightous Canadian chef.... promotes (and rightly so) canadian ingredients... and simple recipies....

James Barber..... again another Great Canadian Chef.... although i dont agree with some of his recipies.... he does warrant mentioning....

I think that is all for now.....I will update as memory dictiates...

for now... i leave you.... puzzuled, confused, dased... and of course.. wanting more...

 
At 10/13/2005 4:08 pm, Blogger Della said...

Puzzled, yes - many of those chefs haven't yet graced our televisions here in Aus (apart from Chen Kenichi, who I do appreciate as an Iron Chef).

Maybe some of the ones you've mentioned will appear on our TV sometime soon, though. We tend to get more of the British and European celebrity chefs gracing our screens :)

Are you sure you're not just biased in regards to your Mum and Dad? ;) *lol* jk

 
At 9/29/2006 8:22 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hewie?!?!? you like Hewie??? but he is sooo annoying.

 
At 7/24/2007 9:39 pm, Blogger Odysseus Snelling said...

You should check out a guy called Keith Floyd! He's this crazy British chef who doesn't know how to cook unless he's downing an entire bottle of wine or the local liquer!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Floyd

I think he only really knows one recepie, but very classy alcohol consumption more than makes up for it!

 
At 4/11/2008 4:14 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff Janz is far from annoying.

Mario Bartali is boring as hell and I hate the close ups of his sausage fingers! lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home